Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

How to Take a Dear Photograph

Dear Photograph is a website, and now a book created by Taylor Jones. The idea is to match up an old photo to the current scene. Then write a little note to the photograph. There is something extremely personal and poignant about this project. Sometimes I even get a bit teary when I browse through all the entries. Anyways, here's how I took my photos.

Step One: Find the place where the photo was taken. I found it easiest to use photos that were taken outside since a lot of indoor photo locations were unavailable because of people moving to different houses. As a side note, if you're moving from a childhood home this is a great way to preserve some memories. I wish I had done it when my grandparents moved, but I did not.

Step Two: Line up the photo to the scene. I got my sister to help me by holding the photo; if you can get someone to help you, it's way easier. It's also easier to move the camera instead of the picture once you've got it in the general area.

Here was my first attempt:
This was one of the first tries. At first glance it looks right, because the bridge is lined up. However the horizon/waterline wasn't matched.

After fixing up the horizon, the final photo turned out like this:

I probably could have had a higher aperture (less blur) for this one, but I'm happy with how everything lined up. I also like the little detail of the kid walking along. 

Step Three:  This one is optional, but for a true Dear Photograph, you have to write a little something. 

Dear Photograph,
That was the last time we were all together along that rocky shore. With everyone growing up and going their separate ways, I wonder if we'll ever search for smooth rocks to skip under the bridge again. 
Sunny

Here's a couple more photos that I took in the same fashion: 



Let me know in the comments if you've tried this before or what you think of it! Feel free to leave a link to any pictures that you've done like this. 

For your pinning pleasure. Click to pin. 







No comments:

Post a Comment